Brighton & Hove news, property, music and listings

latest 7

Read Online

Download (PDF)



latest homes

Read Online

Download (PDF)



Workers complete demolition of sections of Brighton’s West Pier ahead of i360 build

Posted in Latest 7, Latest News, Local

Demolition work at Brighton’s West Pier site is set to complete tomorrow (Tuesday July 1) ahead of the construction of the i360 observation tower.

Workers have spent the last month clearing part of the platform from the former Victorian attraction.

With the area now clear, contractors from the i360 will move in with the first phase involving the construction of the access road.

The £46.2 million attraction, which will be 160 metre tall, is set to open in summer 2016.

Developer Marks Barfield have confirmed as well as the tower, the site will include a conference centre and restaurant.

Some of the artefacts – including one of the former West Pier toll booths – will be preserved as part of the i360 redevelopment.

Other parts will be kept in storage and eventually form part of a planned West Pier heritage garden near the site.


Rachel Clark, of The West Pier Trust, told The Latest it was a great relief to have work beginning on the site.

She added she hoped a successful i360 could eventually lead to the potential creation of a new pier.

It comes as Brighton and Hove City Council handed over the keys to the new tenants of the arches buildings to the west of the pier site.

Posted in Latest 7, Latest News, Local

One comment to “Workers complete demolition of sections of Brighton’s West Pier ahead of i360 build”

  1. PIER PRESSURE says:

    Where all the money gone, to REBUILD THE PIER?

Leave a comment

Find your perfect home in Brighton & Hove, Sussex and across the UK

Search  »