Sunday, September 19

Decision on flats for Hove seafront site deferred

- September 14, 2017

Planners have deferred a planning application to build 60 flats on the long-derelict old Sackville Hotel site on Hove seafront.

The proposal for the eight-storey building on the Kingsway site would include either five affordable homes for rent or seven affordable homes, four of which would be for rent and three for shared ownership.

The revised design, which included input from neighbours, was praised by some councillors. The front and side of the proposed building were well received. However, some criticised the look of the north side of the proposed building.

Councillor Leo Littman commented that it looked “like 1970s brutalism.”

Councillor Joe Miller said he was concerned about the way in which the figures had been reached – the valuation process – and the way the developer’s financial contribution had been calculated.

The developers, Hyde housing association, would be expected to make a financial contribution to the council of around £250,000, including £60,000 towards local schools.

Councillor Carol Theobald said she had preferred an earlier scheme and was concerned about parking pressure in the local area.

An earlier proposed design for the site, known as the Sackville Tower, attracted considerable local opposition.

The latest scheme had attracted greater support from some neighbours. However, despite 76 objections from neighbours being made to the council about the most recent design, none of these spoke at the Planning Committee meeting at Hove Town Hall.

As a result of this, under the council’s own rules, Hyde were prevented from being able to address the committee and answer questions from councillors.

The application – already past its deadline for being decided, was deferred following a vote by members of the Planning Committee.

Hyde housing association said that following the deferral of the application they would be ‘discussing committee member’s comments with council officers, who had formally recommended approval of the plans for the eight-storey residential development.


By Clare Calder




Related articles


Leave a Comment